My Take on Blogging...


Image result for blogging

Blogs are the most valuable type of content, according to more than one-third of today's marketers. What started as an online diary, became a pivotal part of the free flow of information in the United States and around the world.

Personal blogging changed mass communication though the use of the World Wide Web. In todays society, the internet consumers are enamored with technology to the point where it may be an addiction. Marketer.com did a survey and found that in 2014, 60% of internet users read at least one blog monthly. It can only be assumed that this percentage has gone up with the advances in technology.

These blogs are used in many different ways and can be intended for different audiences. The interesting thing about blogs is that a blogger can write and inform to any platform they please and talk about their own interests, hoping others will agree. Websites such as Blogger or Wix allow writers to express how they feel, free of charge. Readers are free to follow any hobby or belief that they want to and comment their ideas as well. The idea of blogging involved with mass communication comes from how easy it is to write, post, and publish to a wide range of people. Essentially, anyone with access to internet.

All positives must have negatives, and in this case, blogging walks on a fine line on First Amendment rights and the concepts of prior restraint and subsequent punishment. In other words, with freedom comes responsibilities. You can write about whatever your heart desires but when it comes down to it, your posts must be legal. The government can not forbid you to write what you feel. However, after you do so the government can punish you after the fact if what you are saying evokes obscenity, defamation, fraud, incitement, true threats, or speech to already criminal conduct. 

Throughout this course, I have been keeping up with a blog of my own. The main topic about my blog revolved around new technologies and mass communication. Fitting to my major, the news stories that I blogged about were all based on how new technologies are revolutionizing the world each and every day. I found that through this assignment of keeping up to date on my blog I was more aware of what was going on in the world around me. I have never been a person who always checked the news daily and was not informed of world-wide issues that were happening day-to-day. I was almost forced to create a habit for myself every week of seeing what I could blog about on a weekly basis. My expectations were low when it came to trying to find a new topic every week in the media. I was surprised to find that so many relevant topics including the Facebook scandal, the unfortunate Uber incident, and Apple updates all happened during the course and I was able to blog about these major new stories and give my opinions.

Overall, I genuinely enjoyed keeping a blog. I thought that the freedom I had and the creativity I put into it was really gratifying. I may think about incorporating this into my daily life and will definitely be keeping up with the news and social media much more often.

Comments