My Digital Footprint


Image result for image portraying consumed with social media

If I were to give myself a grade on how safe I am when I am using social media I would give myself a solid B.

Personally, I believe that my online presence is not a immense as some of my peers. My main social media platforms that I use are Snapchat, Instagram, and I will occasionally check Twitter to update me on the news. I do not have a personal website due to the fact I do not have many attributes or accomplishments in the work field yet. I am open to the idea of creating a controlled website just about me in the future when I have a steady job.

Out of all the social media outlets that I mentioned before, I would say I present myself the most on Instagram.  I do keep my account on privacy so I can filter who or what follows me and can see my photos. I do not link any websites to my bio, although, many of my friends will insert their VSCO pages. The only thing that outside accounts will see is my name and a somewhat blurry profile picture of me and a friend.

I am very particular about what information I give to the outside web-world. At one point I did have my account public for all to see. After careful consideration, I decided to change that setting. I began to realize that I represent more than just my name. I represent the school I go to, the soccer team I am a part of, and my two loving parents. If I were to post something degrading or flashy, that would negatively reflect on so much more that is not necessary.

I do not have a Facebook and it seems that I dodged a bullet with that one considering their negative press recently. In an article published by The Atlantic, the author writes, "Solitude used to be good for self-reflection and self-reinvention. But now we are left thinking who we are all the time, without ever really thinking about who we are". This quote sums up perfectly the main point the feature is trying to make. We as a social media driven society rely so much on being constantly updated on what others are doing or we are overtaken by what other will think of us. Often we forget who we truly are in the midst of this contradiction. The same writer for The Atlantic could not of said it better, "the more connected we become, the lonelier we are".


Comments